Saturday, October 12, 2013

Oysters Oysters Everywhere!

As part of our paleo lifestyle we have been trying to keep our food simple, fresh, and try as many new things as we can.  I was down at my parents last weekend and picked up some fresh seafood at those shockingly low coastal prices.  A few days later I watched Mathieu Lalonde's presentation on nutrient density and noticed that oysters took a pretty prominent position.

Oysters are an amazing source for several vitamins and minerals.  They are extremely high in vitamin D and very high in iron, B12, zinc, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus.  Excellent for getting lean and mean.


During the past week I kept running into those kind of foodie deals on oysters I just couldn't turn down.  First, 1/2 off fresh shucked oysters at the local market meant creating a paleo version of Angels on Horseback. They were far more delicious than I could have imagined and great for the family member that is still a little freaked out by the raw beauties.

Then yesterday, while wondering around in Whole Foods, I spotted a few fresh oysters that looked pretty good. I knew I didn't have a shucking knife so I asked the seafood guy if they had one for sale.  He poked around for a few minutes and couldn't come up with one,  pulled a really nice one out of his coveralls, and told me, "Here take this one no charge". These guys continuously surprise me and know how to keep me coming back.  After that I had to load up on some oysters.  They were as delicious as they look!

If your family is like mine we get in a bit of a routine, hit our standard meat sources, and often over look some of the very nutritious and delicious variety surrounding us.  Some of this variety means leaving the families comfort zone for a meal or two but more often than not the family is surprised by how good the food is.  Oysters and other shell fish were in this category but have now found a place in our rotation, even though I am still the only one that downs the raw guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment