Sunday, October 13, 2013

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

Going paleo has meant dropping some of my life long comfort foods. Mashed potatoes is a big one of those.  I love me some mashed potatoes and gravy. Mashed cauliflower is not quite mashed potatoes but it is pretty darn close.  The flavor is a bit different and the consistency thinner than the originals (at least our attempts).  We may try some things to thicken them up potentially with coconut flour and/or less steam time.  We'll let you know if it works out. The results at the dinner table were pretty good.  One out of four of us do not like them at all and considering it is my son, the pickiest in our crew, I think they will grow on him.  Not being a big cauliflower fan I expected I would have to choke them down but I actually love these and always polish off the left overs.  Of course if you eat dairy I am sure some cheese on top of these would send them to some new stratospheric level.  Cauliflower is one of those super veggies that has a pretty decent amount of a broad array of essential nutrients, so this recipe may just be they way to work them into your meal plan.

  • PREP5 mins
  • COOK15 mins
  • READY IN20 mins
Ingredients:
  • 1 Head of cauliflower
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 tsp. and a pinch or two of fresh ground nutmeg
  • 2 tbsp. grass-fed butter (We use Kerrygold)
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
  1. Cut the head of cauliflower into 1" pieces 
  2. Coarsely chop the cloves of garlic 
  3. Place the cauliflower and garlic into the steamer and cook for 10 mins. 
  4. Dump contents of the steamer, butter, 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg, salt, and pepper into a food processor.
  5. Pulse until smooth
  6. Serve warm with a pinch of nutmeg sprinkled on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment