Monday, February 24, 2014

Homemade Snowville Creamery Butter is as Good as it Gets

I was in Whole Foods the other day hunting down some heavy cream.  I so wanted to buy another half gallon of Snowville Creamery heavy cream that I talked about in the "A Heavy Cream Dilemma" post but a half gallon is a bit much to get through for coffee.  I snagged one of the Whole Foods crew and asked if he could get quarts or pints of this heavenly delicious cream.  He wasn't sure but told me they would be at the store that weekend.  First thing Saturday, the family and I headed out with smaller cream deliveries as our goal.  We got there early so the two young ladies, Morgan and Heather, were just setting up.  I told them of my dilemma and they explained how they were in the process of expanding to include production of smaller heavy cream sizes. They loaded the kids, Steph, and I up with stickers, pins, samples of their yogurt, and creme fraiche. The creme fraiche was really pretty amazing. While the kids were spreading several yogurt samples around the surrounding area, the ladies suggested that I try making butter with the cream which might make purchasing a half gallon a more reasonable thing.  I figured why not and grabbed a half.  A half gallon is about $10 so when you are looking at all the surrounding half gallons of milk it seems pretty expensive.

Sunday morning I figured it was time to give this butter making a try.  The carton had instructions right on it. I dumped half of the carton into my food processor and let it rip.  After a couple minutes I peeked inside and to my surprise saw some change occurring.  At this point things were looking a lot like whipped cream and from a sample was pretty tasty.  I ran the blender for another minute or two and saw about the same thing.  At this point I wasn't so sure the butter was going to be like the butter I like to throw in my coffee or on my sweet potato.  I flipped the food processor back on and a few minutes later I heard a significant change in the sound.  I opened it up and this time BAM it was butter. It was like magic.  OK so maybe you have seen this before but I never had. Five minutes in the processor and the cream had been transformed into butter. I strained the butter, hand pressed it into a mold, and harvested the resulting butter milk.

The butter is some of the tastiest butter I have ever had and knowing how the animals are pastured gives me the highest confidence in the quality of the fat.

I did a little math and this really turned out to be a pretty good deal.  At $10 the half gallon of cream produced one quart of cream for a week of coffee, about one pound of the best butter ever, and a couple cups of butter milk for Steph's cooking experiments.  Normally we end up buying two pints of cream at $3.50-$4 a pop and Kerrygold butter at $3.50/8oz for our coffee.  In comparison, that would be $15 for the same amount of cream and butter not including the butter milk.  From that perspective this stuff is a really good deal and I am convinced this is some of the best quality and best tasting cream you can get.  If you are lucky enough to be in an area that Snowville distributes to give them a try and I bet you'll be sold.  It looks like the Brady's will be making our own butter from now on.

Thanks again for stopping by!
Chuck

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing.
    spirulina powder UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ramiz, thanks for the awesome comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information.
    Como Combatir el Estres

    ReplyDelete