Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Heavy Cream Dilemma

Since my wife and I adopted Phatty Coffee as our regular morning drink, our heavy cream needs have increased significantly.  To get the best quality fat in your cream you have to find one that comes from pastured cows.  While organic, non-gmo, no antibiotics, etc may imply pastured it is not necessarily the case.  So we have a few go-to creams we choose from.  The other day at Whole Foods my wife noticed a half-gallon of cream. from Snowville Creamery.  I had never noticed this before probably because I wasn't looking for heavy cream in a half gallon size.  This cream gives you all the info you need to be confident you are getting the highest quality pastured fats.  The pints we normally get range from $3.50 to $3.99 per pint.  This half gallon was $9.99 saving us $5-6.  I swore when I picked this up the expiration date was 3 weeks out and we could easily get through it in that amount of time. Well I was wrong!  When I got up the next morning and looked I noticed the expiration date was three days away.  I thought for a minute and wondered if I could freeze the cream.  Then I thought ice cube trays.  Well it worked like a charm.  The amount of cream in each ice cube is a little deceiving and while I initially thought one was enough it is really more like three or four.  Drop the number of cubes you need in your cup, microwave it for 30 seconds or so, add some pastured butter, a little coconut oil, and top off with some rich fresh ground coffee and you are on your way to a great day!

Thanks for stopping by!
Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment