Friday, February 21, 2014

Post Workout Nutrition


I have had a few people ask me what I do for post workout nutrition so I thought I would let you know what I am currently up to.  I am continually tweaking what I do based on how well I recover and whether I am trying to lean out or gain muscle.  This should give you an idea that you can build from.

There are two keys to post workout nutrition.  They are protein and glycogen replenishment.

Glycogen Replenishment: The longer more intense the workout the more glycogen that your body will have burned for energy.  This fuel needs to be replaced for future activity and your body is prime to receive a recharge immediately after your workout.  If you do not provide your body with the necessary fuel to recover, depending on the intensity of your workout, you may feel sluggish and fatigued for hours or days following.  To help this replenishment you need an insulin spike followed up with plenty of highly available sugars and simple carbs.

Protein:  Protein is essential for building muscle.  Getting a large amount of highly available protein in your system after a workout will help to repair and build new muscle and will limit muscle soreness and fatigue you would normally experience 1-2 days after an intense workout.  

Right now my workouts are comprised of medium intensity weight lifting days, usually with a light jog (1-3 miles) and a once a week long run day in preparation for the upcoming St. Patty's Half Marathon. With each workout either weight lifting or runs I assess the general intensity of the workout. 

Low Intensity Days: On less intense days I supplement with whey protein isolate containing 30g of protein mixed with water.  I generally don't worry too much about glycogen replenishment on light days. If the workout is very light then I don't supplement at all.

High Intensity Days: On more intense days and long run days I double the whey dose to 60g of protein and mix it with 1 liter of coconut water. The coconut water serves as the glycogen replenishment start.  If I really pushed it that day I don't stop there.  In addition I will have 4 tbsp Brady Nutrition endurance drink (my own endurance drink recipe much like EFS, Acceleraide, or Hammer Heed) and sometimes a sweet potato.  Sweet potatoes are loaded with glucose and are a great post workout option for glycogen replenishment.  I have also started keeping a half dozen sweet potato baby food jars in my gym bag.  If I end up having a pretty intense session and don't have all options available I will drink down a couple baby food jars to support my recovery.

Hold on a minute, sports drinks and whey protein are not Paleo!
There are as many Paleo diets or protocols as there are people that say they are Paleo.  It is my opinion that Paleo is to provide a framework to start from. Once you have embraced the Paleo diet there is no reason you cannot incorporate foods and supplements that many not fit the strictest Paleo guidelines.  This should be done systematically and with a complete understanding of the pros and cons of each addition.  Sports drinks and whey are certainly not Paleo.  However, if you are an endurance athlete, power lifter, etc there are a number of supplements that can significantly benefit your performance and health in variety of ways. Understand the science, benefits, and risks, and if you deem an option appropriate try it for a short period and see how you feel and if there are any adverse effects.  Continue to stay up to date on the latest information and reassess as new information becomes available.    

Which whey protein should I use?
I use a whey isolate since it is virtually lactose, fat, carbohydrate, and cholesterol free. This allows me to more directly control my macro nutrient intake. There are plenty of articles out there about junk that is in various protein powders.  There doesn't seem to be a clear link between cost and quality. Some think going grass-fed is the best option.  It probably doesn't make any difference in terms of supplementation but you are supporting more positive industry practices.  I have looked at the grass-fed options and at $40-$50 a pound I can hardly justify the expense when many conventional forms are less than $10 a pound.  I say pick a powder that you like and mixes well.  Do a little research to see if it has been flagged as having contaminants and then follow up every now and then.

Hope that helps you out! Let  me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Thanks
Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment