Monday, September 30, 2013

Do your eyes glaze over in the egg isle?

My family and I eat a ton of eggs.  They are incredibly nutritious and great sources of protein, choline, selenium, and vitamin D.  I cook eggs for my kids just about every morning and many of our paleo recipes end up with an egg thrown in for good measure.

I was rolling through Whole Foods with one of my buddies the other day and as he approached the egg cooler I could see the bewilderment on his face.  If you are uncertain of which eggs to buy then Whole Foods can send you over the edge.  There are literally dozens of different kinds of eggs from around $2.50 to over $5.  Almost the same day I got an email from another friend asking which were the best eggs for the money.

So here is my general rule of thumb. If you are at a random grocery store you just have to do the best you can.  So I look for these things in this order.  First look for the eggs with omega-3s (the more milligrams the better), second narrow those down to cage free, third see if you can score brown eggs, and finally if you have more than one choice look at the price.  As you may have figured out from my other posts my family is on a budget so I am not about to spring for $5 a dozen eggs every few days. My favorites at the moment are the Whole Foods brand of cage free organic omega-3 large brown eggs (grey carton with purple print). These bad boys  are $2.99 here in Charlottesville and totally awesome. The yokes are rich, very thick, supper yellow, and exceptionally delicious.  Now go make an omelette and some paleo pancakes mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment