Tuesday, September 17, 2013

This is what Paleo did to my cholesterol

I didn't think I was going to post my actual Lipid numbers but after receiving the results I had to share them.

If you read my brief history post you will have the context on some of these milestones.

April 2012 - Start doing some real mild treadmill work

First week of May 2012 - Pick up the pace and start running on the road and mountain biking to prepare for my first adventure race.

06/12/2012 - I had an annual physical with the following Lipid profile and received a counseling from the doc.
Total Cholesterol - 232
HDL - 56
Triglyceride - 218
VLDL - 44
LDL - 132

12/13/2012 - After working up to running around 25 miles a week, running my first half marathon, completing my first 6 hour adventure race, and going on a super low fat diet, I had a follow up blood test with the following LIPD profile. The doc told me I was on the right track but still had a lot of work to do.
Total Cholesterol - 207 down 10.78%
HDL - 55 down 1.79%
Triglyceride - 172 down 21.1%
VLDL - 34 down 22.73%
LDL - 118 down 10.61%

09/13/2013 - The time between the last test and this test was a bit crazy.  I spent the first 3 months going to physical therapy for a nagging piriformis strain and plantar fasciitis.  I completed my second adventure race but did not train much due to my injuries.  I had a 2 month complete break from diet and exercise while caring for my wife's medical issues.  At the tail end of my wife's medical situation, the first week of July, we decided to try Paleo for a month after watching "The Perfect Human Diet".  I also started running again in July but have kept to 5-10 miles per week.  With all that, didn't expect much from the numbers but hoped to see a little progress due to the Paleo diet.  I was very wrong and the numbers were shocking.

Total Cholesterol - 160 down 22.71%
HDL - 65 up 18.18%
Triglyceride - 55 down 68.02%
VLDL - 11 down 67.65%
LDL - 84 down 28.81%

As you can see the numbers are a radical departure from the previous tests.  I switched doctors for this last test.  My new doctor is very supportive of my current plan and told me not to worry about the results either way.  His comment on the paperwork was "Perfect all the way!"

No comments:

Post a Comment